Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Session Two: Day Two- Just Ask

Are you writing out the book of James as we begin to go through it?

Lisa: YES!  I need to write things down to even have a chance of remembering it.  I'm pretty excited to see what knowledge (or wisdom...) I gain from truly knowing these Scriptures!


Jill:  Yes, I too learn better by constant repetition.  Every time Beth has us read a verse I read it in 3 different versions, not only for the repetition but to see if one version has a different impact on me versus the other.  

In college when I was studying for tests, I found that the best way for me to retain information was by rewriting my notes.  It meant that it took extra time to study, but it also meant I did better on tests.  I can already see where writing out the verses in James is going to help me focus my mind and retain the words.  I hope you are writing out the verses, too!

Today's portion of James starts off focusing on asking for wisdom, but really ends up talking to us about living a life that is duplicitous.  We either believe the scriptures and take God at His word to ask for what we need in our lives, or we doubt Him, whether or not we even ask.  God wants us to come to Him with all of the issues in our lives, even though He already knows what we need.  He simply wants to have a relationship with us, to have that conversation, to be intimate with us.

Lisa: When I was going through the ask, seek, and knock stuff, I was reminded of a Sunday School lesson we had years ago.  We were basically talking about this same thing, and the Lesson used Luke 11:5-10.  It is about a friend who is in need of some bread to feed an out of town friend.  He comes knocking on another man's door at night.  But because he had already locked up for the night, he was under no obligation to get up out of bed and give his friend any bread, which was a custom of the time.  He does, however, get up and does give the man some bread, but Jesus is careful to note that it is not because they are friends, but because of his boldness in asking and knocking!  It is a parallel story to the one we read in our lesson today, Matthew 7:7-8, but I just kept thinking about this lesson.  We also talked about if God already knows what we need, even when we don't know, why do we have to ask?  I did like how Beth phrased it: "The King of the universe wants a real, live relationship with us."


Jill:  I dont think it has ever really hit home with me until just now the Duplicity stuff.  I always "Wanted" to have enough faith, but deep down my old insecurities took hold (Stupid Satan always knows just how to whisper in my ear) that I am not worthy enough to get what I ask for.  So even though I KNOW God will give to those who ask, I kind of that that was for everyone else, not really for me, again I'm not worthy enough.  So learning about the duplicity of the heart and either follow or dont, was a real slap in the face for me.  Thank you James for slapping me in the face!!!!

Are there areas in your life where you are needing wisdom?  Beth brings us down the path of acknowledging that knowledge and wisdom are two different things.  We might know something but lack the wisdom to carry it out.
I always feel like I read so much about how to parent and books on advice, raising Godly children, etc., but I don't always know how to put those ideas into practice.  I spend a lot of time asking God to give me wisdom in parenting, in my marriage, my role at home and my other relationships.  

Lisa: My Bible said this about wisdom: "Wisdom enables us to face trials with "pure joy" (just looping!).  It is not just acquired information (knowledge), but practical insight with spiritual implications.

I feel like I too am constantly asking for wisdom in various areas of my life, and they're pretty much the same as Emily's.  The four I wrote down were: church, raising godly girls without losing my mind and being able to balance my "job" as homemaker and MOM, being a godly wife who understands and responds to my husband appropriately, and friendships and family. 


Jill:  I clearly need wisdom is ALL areas of my life.  I have lots of pieces of knowledge on lots of little things, but wisdom, surely lacking in wisdom.  The 4 I choose were 1) my family to be a good/godly wife for Jon and be a good daughter, sister, niece, cousin, etc  2) My work life, to try and not be jealous to try and be someone people can come to for various situations 3) My money, to try and use my money for good/godly ways and not be tempted to use it for worldly possesions. 4) My body to not succumb to unhealthy unholy things, (stupid donuts)



If we ask God for wisdom, what does He say He will do?
He says He will give it to us.  I don't know if it's because I grew up in a house where my mom truly believed that if you asked you shall receive, but I honestly do not struggle in this area.  I believe wholeheartedly that if you sincerely go to God and ask, He WILL provide.  What that provision looks is an entirely different story and it might not be quite what I had in mind, but I do know that God absolutely answers our prayers.

Lisa: I like how the verse says that God will respond "generously" and without "finding fault" or "criticizing" the one who asks.  Probably because of my dad's tendency to be a little condescending or abusive, this understanding of my heavenly Father is so comforting.  It doesn't matter what I come WHOLEHEARTEDLY to Him with.  He will not judge me or tell me that I'm stupid for asking.


Jill:  growing up I was always made to feel guilty for asking for ANYTHING.  I was a burden to the person who I asked.  Either a financial burden or just a nuisance.  So I tried to be as self reliant as possible, even to the point of ruin, finical ruin, or if I was just trying to fix something myself and couldnt I could ruin that object.  I almost got in a severe car crash once due to bad brakes, because I didnt want to ask my brother (a mechanic) to fix them as I didnt want to burden him.  So trying to learn to come to God and he will LAVISH (I loved that version the best).  HE will give LAVISHLY, and not make me feel guilty for asking.  What a concept for me.   

I had a bit of a hard time with this portion of today's lesson, only because it seems so "routine" for me, if that makes sense.  I think the sentence where Beth reminds even "seasoned believers" to pay attention was specifically for me today.  When I really started to glean something new, was when she began talking about how doubting God could be equated with a deceptive heart and all the consequences that can come with that.

Lisa: I had never really taken the time to absorb this idea either.  Our divided heart can lead to a lot more than just not following God with our whole heart.  It was pretty eye opening to think of our own physical hearts dividing and trying to beat alone, out of sync with one another.  I actually have a friend who has two systems in her body, one regular heart that pumps blood through her veins, and then another vascular system that has its own "heart" that beats by itself, pumping blood through the rogue veins.  It causes lots of problems and has resulted in many surgeries.  Obviously, her body doesn't function the way that our bodies are designed to work.  Just like when we are divided and deceptive, we do not function the way God created us to be - serving Him with our whole heart.


Jill:  Today was a big one for me, like I said I always "knew it" but was never able to put it into practice. And learning about the divide heart really hammered home the message to me.  I never thought about it that way before.  I now KNOW God WANTS me to come to Him.  He wont make me feel guilty for asking AND He will give LAVISHLY.  I almost feel as if someone stole all the breath out of my body.  I wish I could express into words what this day means to me.


As a side note:  I read The Message version and for yesterday's reading I loved the way it is worded.  This version really hit me it says James 1:3  You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.    WOW....  it forces you to show your true colors.   Just wow.

God is and should be my constant source of stability.  Today was just a great reminder that He is my rock, He does love me so much that he wants to answer the cry of my heart and that I do choose Him, every day.

How long will you waver between to opinions? If the Lord is God then follow Him
1 Kings 18:21

1 comment:

  1. Jill:
    I found this on Knowledge vs Wisdom and thought it was appropriate for today:
    Many people mistake knowledge for wisdom because they are intimately related, and this is unfortunate because they are quite different in an important way. Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and information. Wisdom is the synthesis of knowledge and experiences into insights that deepen one’s understanding of relationships and the meaning of life. In other words, knowledge is a tool, and wisdom is the craft in which the tool is used.

    If one understands this difference, he or she will also appreciate why it is vital to properly distinguish between the two. With the Internet, it is now relatively easy for a reasonably diligent person to quickly become knowledgeable in virtually any field of his or her choosing. We are literally awash in a sea of information! But having a hammer and knowing how to use it are two entirely different propositions. A hammer is amoral; whether it is used for good or ill depends entirely on the wielder. Sadly, history is a lengthy record of the harms wrought by knowledgeable, well-meaning people who lacked wisdom.

    In contrast to knowledge, wisdom is generally considered to be morally good. Why is this the case? Albert Einstein once said, “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” Such a process is lengthy and arduous, which teaches the pursuer patience and humility. Seldom is a person unchanged by such a trial. When one finally uncovers a connection or insight that he or she believes to be universally applicable “truth,” it often inspires awe akin to a spiritual experience.

    “Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers,” wrote Alfred, Lord Tennyson. One is not apt to forget such insights so hard earned, and they generally stays with a person for the rest of his or her life, coloring all subsequent thoughts and actions. Wisdom requires no law or threat of punishment to ensure compliance; the practitioner typically feels a strong compulsion to obey his or her own beliefs. This is not to say that the reputedly wise have never fallen prey to indiscretions and questionable moral behavior. They are still flesh and blood like us all. But if one is tracking such statistics, the odds are such failings are likely to be small relative to the general populace.

    Society esteems the wise for their virtuosity and for their rarity. Subject matter experts number in the thousands, but the wise may only number in the tens or hundreds. And history records their names and achievements for posterity’s sake.

    ReplyDelete